The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR) provide you with a right of access to a wide range of environmental information held by the council.
Environmental Information relates to:
1. The state of elements of the environment i.e. air, water, etc.
2. The state of human health and safety, conditions of human life, the food chain
3. Substances, energy, noise, radiation or waste affecting or likely to affect the state of the elements of environmental interaction between them
4. Administrative measures, policies, legislation, plans, programmes and environmental agreements
5. Emissions, discharges and other releases into the environment
6. Cost benefit and other economic analysis used in environmental decision making
How to make an EIR request
If the information is not available on the council’s website you can make a specific request for the information and the council must deal with it in accordance with the provisions of the Regulations.
Please put your request in writing to email@example.com or alternatively you can make your request over the telephone. You must include:
1. your name
2. your address
3. the information you require in as much detail as you can offer
The timescale for responses is 20 working days. Please note the council can make reasonable charges for supplying information under EIR.
The council does not have to provide information which is already publicly available.
Information is not available if:
1. International relations, defence, national security or public safety are affected
2. The course of justice, the ability of a person to receive a fair trial or the ability of the authority to conduct an enquiry of a criminal or disciplinary nature are affected
3. Information provided would breach someone’s intellectual property rights
4. Information is commercially confidential
5. Information relates to the protection of the environment
6. Information is incomplete
7. Information relates to internal confidential documents
8. The request is so vague that we cannot tell you what you want and you refuse to be more specific
9. The request is unreasonable because of the time and resources that it would place on the authority