Toggle menu

Council Tax disputes and appeals

Why not sign up today for paperless Council Tax bills! Did you know it costs us around 50p to send a bill through the post? You can make your life easier, save paper and save us money by signing up to paperless bills. It's easy to sign up and only takes a few minutes.

Challenge your Council Tax band

You might be able to challenge your Council Tax band if you think it is wrong. You will still need to pay Council Tax until a decision is made.

Challenge your Council Tax band


Appeal against your Council Tax calculation

You can also appeal if you have been refused a discount, exemption, or relief or if you do not think you should be paying Council Tax. If you wish to appeal on these grounds please complete a general enquiry form.

You cannot appeal against our empty property discount scheme, you can only appeal if you think a discount has been applied incorrectly.

If you decide to appeal you must continue to pay your Council Tax. We will adjust your future payments or refund any amounts you have overpaid if your appeal is successful.


If you disagree with the decision of your appeal

If you disagree with the decision of if your appeal has not been dealt with in 2 months of us receiving it, you can appeal further to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

The Valuation Tribunal Service is an independent body set up by the government to deal with appeals.

View more information on the Valuation Tribunal Service website.


Council Tax Support appeals

If you do not agree with a decision we have made about your Council Tax Support you can make an appeal.

You can appeal to us against the amount of Council Tax you have to pay for if:

  • you think that, under the rules of the Council Tax Support Scheme, we should have given you a reduction on the Council Tax you have to pay
  • you think the amount of reduction we have given you under Council Tax Support Scheme is not correct.

You cannot appeal against the rules that are in the Council Tax Support Scheme, only about how we have applied the rules to your case.


Appeal against your Council Tax Support calculation

When you are appealing against a decision that affects your Council Tax Support award, you should write to us stating why you think the decision is wrong. The appeal should include the date of the decision you are appealing against.  

Please write to us at PO BOX 13, Chorley, PR7 1AR. Alternatively you can complete a general enquiry form.

We should send you a reply within 2 months.

We will look at your claim again and reconsider the original decision and write to you again with the outcome.

If the decision is changed in your favour, the decision will be changed on your claim and any additional Council Tax Support will be credited to your Council Tax account.

If the decision is unchanged or we have not responded to you within 2 months, you will have a right of appeal against the decision to the Valuation Tribunal Service, which is independent of the council. The Valuation Tribunal will consider your appeal based on the law and the details within our Council Tax support scheme.

When writing to you following reconsideration of the original decision, we will tell you how to make an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. You will have a period of 2 months from the date of the letter to do this.

If you think you might have missed the time limits, please contact the Valuation Tribunal Service as they will accept a late appeal in certain circumstances.

The contact details for the Valuation Tribunal Service are:

Valuation Tribunal for England (VTE)

2nd Floor

120 Leman Street


E1 8EU

Telephone: 0303 445 8100


For more information about submitting an appeal visit the Valuation Tribunal Service website.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email